Thursday, November 1, 2012

Here we go again!

If you have been following my blog you will remember that last year while driving back from Maine we got stuck by the Nor'easter and were out of power and in a hotel for a long time (11ish days but who is counting.)  Last year it was around Halloween time.  Here we go again!

Halloween time 2012 and we are without power!  This time it was not a Nor'easter- it was a HURRICANE. EKK  My first Hurricane.

We knew days in advance that Hurricane Sandy would be coming.  I started the prep work.  Eating all my frozen foods, stock piling water and ice, got a new flashlight (L.E.D!) candles, matches, batteries, etc etc.  All my electronics were charged.  Clothes all had been washed.

Sunday I went to church and got some last minute tips from those who went threw Irene last year.  I was ready.  As much as you can be for a Hurricane.  We were to have a show in North West CT on Monday, but while doing a run through in our living room, yep in the living room, we got a call that school was canceled for Monday, meaning no show.  Sad Face.

Monday Morning 10:30ish 

Due to the nature of the storm the weather people did not know until the day of where and when the storm would hit.  We knew that Monday night would be the worst for us in middle CT.  All day I watched the news and movies and tv.  I was very impressed with the governor of CT, every time their was a briefing or news conference a sign language interpreter was fully present and in a full screen shot.  For many people you would think was a "no biggie" but for me it was pretty cool! Now it has also created some spoofs and a lot of other press for the interpreter from the state of NY.  For many of these events, yes an interpreter is there, but often is not shown in the shot, or you would get a glimpse of a hand, rarely a full shot.  It will be interesting to see in the future if this continues or it will disappear.  Monday night after 6 we started to feel the wind pick up, not a lot of rain (which was part of the weather's predictions for CT).  Power started to flash in and out.  At one point in the evening we had this moment of great break in the clouds and the full moon shining through.  Not that my pictures capture it well but you get the point.  We braved it and went outside.  The temperature was mild.  I thought it was going to be cold.  After 10pm, we still had full power and went to bed.  The storm had calmed down and I thought ok we are done.  We made it though with power in tact! YIPPIE!

Around 7:15 at night.  You can see we still have power, and the moon! 

Tuesday I wake up, and it took me a few minutes but finally I realized that we did not have power.  In our apt if we lose power we still have water.  (just not hot water) Well that is weird.  Ok, the warm clothes went on and back to bed.  haha  Later that day I went to stay with friends who did have power. Wednesday we were to travel to southern CT, yea that was not going to happen.  They had the worst of the storm with flooding.  Another day with no power.  We drove back to check on the apt and we noticed that we are the only area without power.  The people across the street had power.  We have now deemed our apt the "Projects".  We are not good enough for power.  Another sad face.

The friends I stayed with have a 2nd grader so I was able to join them in a round of Trick or Treat!

Good news Power is back on!!  Hurrah and the show for Friday is ON!  Hurrah!!  I am grateful for the short time we were without power.  If I were to believe in curses, I wonder what we have done to make Halloween week not be a good week for us!  Two years in a row.  Guess we will never know!

Monday night- 9:45pm. 

1 comment: