Friday, October 28, 2011

Where am I, where have I been??

On Sept 12th I flew out of Detroit metro Airport into PA and then into CT.  My plan was to fit my life into 3 bags.  One 50 pound checked back and then my backpack and my purse (of course the largest one I have!) and I was able to achieve that goal.  In the back of my mind I kept hearing the one line from "Annie"
Just got here this morning 

Three bucks 
Two bags 
One me 
NYC 


Well I was a bit off, I got there in the afternoon, with 3 bags, 2 flights, one me, Connecticut!  My new boss meet me at the airport and took me to my new apt.  My roommates were already in the apt, and waiting for me.  Wed was our first day of rehearsal.  Thurs and Fri we were in rehearsal all day.  Sat, we learned more about the stage management part of our job and then went costume shopping.  Sunday was our day off.  Back to work on Mon.  Rehearsal all day!!  Workshop teaching, Set painting, etc on the weekend.  

Sept 30th we have our rental van packed with all our set pieces and parts, costume bags, and directions to a school in Chester CT.  The three of us load the car and we are off to our first performance/final dress with an audience.  The show went pretty well.  I am not "well versed" in the world of sound.  IE how to set up my mic and speakers.  We were just a few mins into the show when I get so much feedback that even my deaf cast mates are cringing.  So I step off the stage and turn off my mic and use my "tour voice".  Ends up being the best move.  After the show we head to a few places in Chester that are tradition for NTD.  We also get to see the Chester Train pass.  

Oct 1st was another day of workshop training.  

Oct 3rd we started our tour.  First stop, North Carolina.  It was a two day trip.  Washington DC was in the middle of this trip, so we drove to DC and spent the night there.  

Oct 5th was our first show.  Pembroke NC, at the Givens Performing Arts Center.  No sound issues this time!  It was a great crew also.  We were able to enjoy lunch after the show with the crew.  After lunch it was back in the van and back to Washington DC.  That night we had a great dinner with some amazing friends.  
Oct 6th back on the road heading back to CT.  

Oct 7th (Fri) We again loaded up the van and drove to Boston.  We planned on traffic and getting lost.  We did not have those problems!  So we arrived an hour early!  The Theatre was on the Wheelock College campus.  (later we found out that it was a few blocks from Fenway!) The theatre was preparing for the "Phantom Tollbooth"  so there were these great letters and numbers all over the stage.  Perfectly fitting with our show!  The cast was a bit nervous due to the audience being in High school.  Our show is a bit geared for a younger, but perfect for all.  Again our nervousness was not needed, they were a GREAT audience.  Full of energy and ideas and eager to participate.  After the show, again we packed up and drove back to CT.  

Oct 10th, we drove to Tabernacle NJ.  Quite little town, in the middle of farm land.  We were greeted the next day by two over excited two teachers for the deaf.  They were so excited for the show and for their students to see some deaf adults.  It is a very small deaf community and all the students have hearing parents.  We had two shows that day.  After our second show the deaf students were able to stick around and talk with Chrissy and Joey.  A few pictures were taken also.  I'm looking forward to getting a copy of that picture!  
Away back to CT we went! 

Thurs 13th we drove to Mill Neck NY, on Long Island.  I thought that I was bit closer to the big NYC so I could visit my friends in the city, but I was a bit to far to make it into the city :(  I was SO excited about this school because it would be my first school for the deaf.  I was also very nervous!!  Part of my job during the show is making sure every word is heard, and if I cant understand the audiences suggestion...  Oh and we have two workshops.  Our first workshops.  

Fri we arrive to this hidden school in the middle of the forest with these amazing old looking builds on this hidden campus.  (we drove past it the first time!) I fell in love with the school!  The show went well and I understood the kids!  After the show we had our first workshop, with the high school students.  We then had lunch break and were able to eat lunch with the kids.  I almost could not eat due to all the questions and conversations and hands flying everywhere.  After lunch we had the younger students in a workshop that left the three of us worn out!!  So for a treat after a long day the three of us too a ferry from Long Island to CT.  It was great to be out on the water.    


Sat was not a day of rest but another day of driving.  This time to VA.  


Sunday.  Our first public performance!!  Potomac Falls.  Cute little Library.  Our audience was less then 20.  While in VA we found a Noodles and CO restaurant.  We ended up eating their twice in the weekend.  After the show we were back on the road.  Nothing like driving new roads, in the dark, and seeing deer near the side of the road!  Yikes! 


Tues 18th We were in East Hartford at an elementary school.  They had a cute gym teacher!  


Thursday night we made a small appearance to a college class that is taught by a former member of NTD.  


Fri we are back on the road to NJ.  Another night in a hotel.  


Sat 22, Another public performance.  After this show we were invited to the lobby where they had a table set up for us and we signed autographs!  


Sun 23 was a day of prep and rest.  Monday was going to be a busy day! 


Mon 24th 3 show day!!  First one at an intermediate school.  Next two at an elementary school.  Busy busy day.  Over 1,100 kids in two schools!!  


Tues 25th, back to Branford, just one show.  When we arrived home we all passed out from our busy two days!  


Thurs back on the road to Maine!!  and we might get snow!  


Upcoming days we will be in CT and then to Buffalo NY.  After that this round of the tour is done and we all head home.  We get back on the road in Feb.  

2 comments:

  1. Dang, this means I failed at mailing you a package in CT. Guess I'll have to let you know when its finally ready to be mailed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont Worry I will be back and mail will wait for me in the office. Send away!!

    ReplyDelete